Tangent Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite "Horror" Flicks

3 posters

Go down

Favorite "Horror" Flicks Empty Favorite "Horror" Flicks

Post by PaperTiger Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:29 am

This has very little to do with the SC (outside the genre), but just for fun, I challenge everyone to name their top five favorite "Horror" or "monster" flicks. Note that they don't actually have to be scary... they can be so campy that they're laughable... and that's perfectly fine! Also, don't feel you have to prioritize... #5 can be just as dear as #1.

1. House on Haunted Hill (original) - Vincent Price is a delight to listen to, and for such a cheesy film, it sets up a pretty decent amount of atmosphere. Also, the lack of "supernatural" actual makes it facinating.
2. Plan 9 From Outer Space - I don't think I really need to say why... the worst movie in every way. Watching Burton's "Ed Wood" just gives you greater appreciation still.
3. The Mummy & Mummy Returns (but not the 3rd) - the perfect mix of comedy, action, and creepiness. There is so much CGI that the effect is diminished, sadly, but the characters and actors bring enough human element that you can forgive it.
4. Blade 2 - This could have been yet another vanilla action film, but Guillermo del Toro set it in a rich environment that's gothic and modern all at once. (He later did the same with hellboy 2). Also, Ron Perlman. End of story.
5. Sweeney Todd - the musical is much better than Burton's flick, but the fact that the scripts dances upon the razor thin edge of dark comedy and horrific sacriledge so well without falling is surely a sign of genius. It's a story that you can't think about for too long, or you'll lose sleep.

NAME YOUR TOP FIVE!
PaperTiger
PaperTiger
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Favorite "Horror" Flicks Empty Re: Favorite "Horror" Flicks

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of scary movies. But I've seen a few.

In no particular order, Signs, Alien vs. Predator, War of the Worlds, Freddy vs. Jason, and umm...That one with the Headless horseman...Sleepy Hollow?

Chronos

Number of posts : 121
Humor : If life gives you melons, then you're probably dyslexic
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm

@PT The Ghostly scene with the ropes in House on Haunted Hill is actually pretty freaky. Vincent Price's acting in that was GREAT.

@Chronos with you all the way. My list might have to be the 5 horror movies that traumatized me for life. Some horror writer/artist I am. *L*

1. Beetlejuice The seance in the end scared the ^&*% out of me, but it was also my first introduction to comedy mixed with the truly terrifying. Now that I'm older it's one of my favorite movies (btw: PT does a really great Michael Keaton impression).

2. Friday the 13th This movie WOULD have scared the hell out of me but for one thing. During a particularly scary chase, I cracked a joke. Suddenly I wasn't scared of the movie anymore. I had removed myself from the scene and could now enjoy it as a spectator. It was the beginning of grand things.

3. Sleepy Hollow My introduction to the gothic/steampunkish elements of horror. (I still haven't seen Edward scissorhands yet.)

4. Rosemary's Baby I should NOT have watched this while pregnant with my first son, but I was completely engrossed by the whole thing. It really was creepy, and masterfully done. It's rated R for a reason though.

5. Pet Semetary This was my first example of what NOT to do when presenting a horror story in a visual media. The book was so terrifying, I haven't been able to read it again. (I actually gave my copy away so it wouldn't be in my house). When I saw the lame-o 80s movie though, it was really kind of disappointing. I found myself re-making it in my head so it would be scarier. It made me realize that craft is important.
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Number of posts : 132
Humor : I'm trying to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal ~Scott Adams
Registration date : 2008-12-11

http://monicamarier.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm

I loved Sleepy Hollow, though. It was scary, but awesome. I was scared of that one scene where the headless horseman was trying to stab that kid that was hiding under the floor. *shivers* I was 8 at the time, btw.

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Yeah. I don't know WHY Tim Burton let that baby boy die. T-T
He usually has a "no kids" rule.

Other than that, the movie was just so beautifully done and well told. It was breathtaking.
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Humor : I'm trying to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal ~Scott Adams

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperTiger Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 pm

Although seeing Christopher Walken, fanged teeth and all, hissing... it's just too comical. Not gonna lie.

*gravelly voice* "I'm the ghost with the most, babe."
PaperTiger
PaperTiger
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:50 pm

@Paper_Tiger "I have a fever... and the only prescription... is resin dentures." Yeah, I think Miranda Richardson's character was scarier. That and without a head, the horseman was SO terrifying. Once he had a head, it was kind of anticlimactic. He just looked like a a guy w. fake teeth and scary contact lenses.

Watched Beetlejuice again yesterday, for the hell of it. My favorite part was just the vulnerability of Nick and Barbara trapped in their house as ghosts. It was so sweet and well-written. Catherine O' Hara also makes me ROFL.

mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:24 pm

I remember Bettlejuice. I didn't like it that much. It ain't my kind of movie I guess.

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:43 pm

It's very "nutty," and not everyone's cup of tea.

@Paper_Tiger I think we need to mention the importance of Mystery Science Theater 300 in our Youth. It was a major influence on our humour and story craft.
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Was that the one with the two robots and that guy watching movies and making fun of them? If so, then I love that show. XD

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:58 pm

@Chronos Yes. That's the one. It's thanks to them I got to see movies like "The Brain that Wouldn't Die" "The Unearthly" and "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders" (Which was X 1,000,000,000 more terrifying than it sounds.)
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:02 pm

I liked that one with the Werewolf. Their commentary was hilarious.

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 am

I don't think I've seen the werewolf one. But I did see "Attack of the Giant Leeches," and "Attack of the Killer Shrew" and all manner of other "attack" movies.
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down