Tangent Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Greetings (and a music list)

+2
mama_sama
PaperTiger
6 posters

Go down

A Greetings (and a music list) Empty A Greetings (and a music list)

Post by PaperTiger Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:48 pm

Hola! Dave Joria here, the co-writer and half of the talent behind Skeleton Crew.... (wait... Monica does half of the writing AND the pencils, so I guess that makes me 1/3rd of the talent... plus I think Rachel helps with the inking, and Christina with the tone and website, so that makes me... uggh... let's see, 0.314159- cursed fractions, I'll see you in hell...)

Well, I'm PART of the creative process for the comic, so I just wanted to express a warm welcome to any fans of the comic out there. Neither my twisted sister nor I will answer any questions that will spoil the plot, but other than that, we'd be glad to answer any questions about the project.

In the meantime, here's a list of music that helped inspire us; a good portion of it of it available for FREE at iLike.com.

THE 'CREW' SOUND:
Dave Recommends: Nearly any Ska, Reggae, or Punk song that is set in a minor key and has a strong electric bass line works great. Scatter in a few heavy metal or techno songs (Rob Zombie, Metallica, Prodigy), and a few creepy songs (Modest Mouse, Marilyn Manson... that's a lot of 'M's), and you're good to go!

JUICEBOX ROCK- Go Home Productions- The song that started it all. Zomboy & Peek-a-boo were minor characters in another comic ('Also-Rans'; currently in rough-draft novel form), but the idea for an entire team of teen monsters came with this song. Not easy to locate, but if you can find it, it's perfect.

ONCOMING CARS- Nine-Pound Shadow- Zomboy's theme-song. (You'll see why soon). Can download it for FREE at iLike!!! Other songs by Nine-Pound Shadow are available at MySpace (though are different sound, but still good.)

DRAGULA - Rob Zombie- Very dark, but amazingly inspiring for the comic. Supposedly, the song's about the Munster Car... fitting, really. Other good Rob Zombie/White Zombie songs include "Living Dead Girl", "More Human than the Human", and "Meet the Creeper". WARNING: Explicit content!

DEAD! - My Chemicial Romance- An angry yet peppy song about death and how plans change. WARNING: One version is marked EXPLICIT

KRYSTAL CLEAR- Soapbox Paradox - While the lyrics do not play directly with the Crew subject matter, they really capture the 'Sound' of the comic. Download for FREE at iLike, as well as many other 'Crew-y' sounding songs, like "Live It Up", "Rundown", "Maylene", "Danny!", "Liquor Store". WARNING: Explicit lyrics!

HAUNTED - Side Dish- Like Soapbox Paradox, all of their songs have a great Crew "Sound". The tempo is much more hyped, so it lends itself to 'climactic' moments, especially 'Two Clicks to Meltdown". Download their songs for FREE here!

OJOS ASI- Shakira- Amon-Anda's theme song, in my head. Get the Espanol version, it just sounds richer. Amon-anda: con-goers who have read the comic will recognize her, everyone else will have to wait and find out who she is!

GRIM GRINNING GHOSTS- covered by Barenaked Ladies- Nothing to say but pure fun. Ironically, my first exposure to BNL, who are now my favorite band.

ROCK LOBSTER- B52s- 1950s beach films and B-Movie Horror flicks go so hand in hand, that the music is near inseparable. Inspired it's own issue (to come MUCH later.) Also good is 'SURFER GIRL", by 'Home Grown (though it does contain EXPLICIT LANGUAGE), 'Humanoids from the Deep' by Killcreep (Instrumental).

PEOPLE ARE STRANGE- The Doors- Good Creepy fun.

GHOST TOWN - The Specials- Ditto.

THIS DEVIL'S WORKDAY - ACTUALLY Creeeepy. Also good is 'Satin in a Coffin' and "Bokowski".

THRILLER - Michael Jackson- Heh.

WE SHOT THE WORLD- The Ponys. It plays like a lonely soundtrack to a post-apocalyptic cowboy/vampire film, I love it.

HELL - Squirrel Nut Zippers- Malicious and still fun.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ('94 Single Version)- remix by Harajuku - Lends itself to mood and driving energy at the same time.

FRANKENSTEIN - Agent Eye- In my head, it's kinda Shelly's theme song. Not what she's like 99% of the time, but the 1% of the time when she's ticked off REAL bad. Download for free at iLike!

FEED MY FRANKENSTEIN - Alice Cooper- Before there was Marilyn Manson, Alice was corrupting the youth of America, and with LOTS of style. This song is a prime example of power, eeriness, and sexiness.

BELLEVILLE RENDEZ-VOUS - Ben Charest- Light and silly, but oddball enough to work with the comic.

If you have any others, let us know!
PaperTiger
PaperTiger
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

A Greetings (and a music list) Empty Re: A Greetings (and a music list)

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:32 pm

I have to say that Alice Cooper is what really started me in the macabre vein for Skeleton crew. Weston is definitely the product of my introduction to 70's metal, he's got that whole 70's rocker look going for him.

Okay, me getting involved in this project REALLY sprang from the odd discovery (about 3 years ago) that I can draw really GOOD creepy horror stuff. I was making an Army of Darkness tribute for a con, and I found out I could do very scary zombies. This came as an utter shock to me, because I loathe and fear zombies!! Ugh! Hate 'em! Argh! But there you go, the picture actually gave me nightmares! But anyways, the thought that I could made me think maybe I should. I'm just glad we got Zomboy's look right.

Zomboy had the most first drafts of all the characters. Crazy Dave kept saying,
"no he's too gross. Make him look cuter."
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Number of posts : 132
Humor : I'm trying to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal ~Scott Adams
Registration date : 2008-12-11

http://monicamarier.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeM. Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Crazy Dave = Jeffrey Katzenberg during the making of Hunchback of Notre Dame

JoeM.

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by REL Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm

How about "Human" by the Killers? Creepy as all holy heck, and the themes work.

REL

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 pm

I'll have to check them out.
I recently discovered (re-discovered?) the band TOOL. (Remember the rusty crawling meat?) Totally loved the tracks on Rock Band World Tour.
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Humor : I'm trying to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal ~Scott Adams

Back to top Go down

Post by IntrovertedWife Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:09 pm

I was ordered to sit here and knit a sock so here I am. Crap I forgot how to knit. Is it okay if I glue it?
IntrovertedWife
IntrovertedWife

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 pm

@wife Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk. What do you listen to when you draw zombies, as I KNOW you do?
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:27 pm

You could use Get Ready to Die by Andrew W.K., It sounds whimsical, although the lyrics are a bit "violent" (Its called get ready to die, what do you expect? XD)

Chronos

Number of posts : 121
Humor : If life gives you melons, then you're probably dyslexic
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:39 pm

@Chronos Must ask Dave to buy it so I can listen to it *L*

I ALSO love Rob Zombie's "Dragula." If you see me in my silver minivan nodding my head and bouncing on the seat, I'm probably listening to that. It makes for awkward looks when I pick up the kids at preschool.
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Why not just YouTube it?

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:49 pm

@Chronos Oh right... computers. *dur*

Yah see, Chronos, when I was kid, there were these thingies called CDs. And you'd have to go to a store to buy them. That's right. You had to get in an actual car and drive to the store... (etc. etc.)
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 pm

W-what?! But what would you do when your riding dinosaur broke down? D:

Jkjkjk don't kill me. D:

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Dinosaurs were long dead before I came on the scene.
We rode MASTODONS, kid.

(Why I oughta.....) Rolling Eyes
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 pm

How did you survive the flood? D:

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:25 pm

I survived by clinging to the floating corpses of two dead unicorns. I lashed them together to make a raft.

(Keep digging, kid. It'll save me the trouble of finding a place to bury you. Mad )
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Digging graves is fun! :D

*is buried alive* D:

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperTiger Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 pm

yeah, those unicorns didn't float so well... although the jackalopes did provide plenty of essential nutrients.
PaperTiger
PaperTiger
Admin

Number of posts : 21
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 pm

So which side of the civil war were you on, Mama_Sama?

(Even if I'm in a pit, I'm gonna dig till I hit the core of the earth. XD)

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:55 pm

I was Southern Belle in Georgia, beloved by many but very spoiled. But after Tara was burnt down, I made a dress out of curtains and married Rhett Butler and won an Oscar.

Wait...What?
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chronos Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm

That sounds like a movie that I've never seen.

Anyways, I think we've gotten off topic here, Mrs. Highlander.

Chronos

Back to top Go down

Post by mama_sama Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:38 pm

OOH. Highlander! I like that angle. MUCH more flattering.
Back to the music topic I've just gotten a hilarious recording from the "H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society". "A Very Scary Solstice."

It's terrifying songs about Lovecraft's demons and monsters...set to the tunes of popular Christmas Songs. It's pretty hilarious.

You can check out their website here: http://www.cthulhulives.org/
mama_sama
mama_sama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down